Leather gloves are well suited for all kinds of rough work such as chopping wood, handling hot pans and other utensils, riding horse or motorcycle and many other outdoor works. A leather palm work glove is different from a conventional leather work glove with respect to leather being used for making the palm area only while the rest of the glove has other materials. The concept behind this design is that it is the palm area which is subjected to maximum force and is more susceptible to cuts and bruises as compared to other areas of the hand, hence leather palm offers complete protection to the area which requires it most.
Benefits of leather palm work glove
Leather traps and absorbs heat. Thus, although an all-leather glove is comfortable in cold and even moderate temperatures, it becomes hot when you are working in a high temperature environment. The hands become sweaty and it becomes very difficult to keep working while wearing the leather gloves. This problem is solved by a leather palm work glove. Since only the palm portion is made of leather and other parts are made of a breathable material, air circulation takes place effectively and the hands remain cool.
Apart from being comfortable, leather palm work gloves are also resistant against abrasion and punctures. Hence, they are highly durable. Water resistance is also high.
How to select leather palm work glove?
There are many types of leather palm work gloves in the market. Select a type as per your work requirements and budget. The common types of leather palm work gloves are as follows.
- Single palm leather work gloves feature a single layer of split leather making up the palm area
- Double palm leather work gloves have an extra layer of leather making up the palm region. This type of glove provides extra protection to the palm against abrasion
- Reinforced palm leather work gloves feature reinforced leather palm patch which provides superior grip and is more resistant against wear and tear.
Material is an important factor when selecting leather palm work glove. It is imperative to know about various types of leather options to make the best choice.
- Cowhide leather palm work gloves are the most common in the market. Since cowhide is thicker than most types of hides, these gloves are more abrasion and puncture resistant as compared to others. They are also highly durable. Flexibility is low because cowhide is rigid.
- Deerskin leather palm work gloves are soft and more comfortable as compared to cowhide gloves. Deerskin is also much more flexible as compared to cowhide. Deerskin is warmer as compared to other leather types, hence these gloves are more suited for working in cold environments.
- Pigskin leather palm work gloves provide high breathability to the palm because pigskin is highly porous. Thus, the hands are more comfortable. Pigskin is also able to withstand moisture because it does not get stiff.
- Goatskin leather palm work gloves are the strongest and most durable. This is because Lanolin present in goat skin makes the gloves highly waterproof and abrasion resistant.
Leather palm work gloves are cut in two styles. Select the style which suits your purpose. The two styles are as follows
- Gunn cut means the back is one-piece and without seams. The fine seams are located away from the palm. This type of glove gives good grip and is well suited for handling tools.
- Clute cut means the palm is one-piece and there are no seams at the base of the fingers. This type of glove has more room.